Lets see Can you have sex during Ramadan? Can a husband have intercourse with his wife in Ramadan or not? If he can have sex then what are the conditions and if he violates the conditions and has sex with his wife then what will be the punishment.
So let’s read about it in full detail:
When is intercourse prohibited in Ramadan?
- Husband and wife cannot have sexual intercourse during fasting in Ramadan.
- If both of them have sexual intercourse during the time of the obligatory fast by mutual consent, then both of them will fast again for that day and both will pay Kaffara.
- If a husband forcibly has sexual intercourse with his wife after fasting during Ramadan, then both the Qazaa of the fast and the Kaffara of the fast will be required on the husband and only the Qazaa of the fast will be required on the wife.
- If a wife forcibly has sexual intercourse with her husband while fasting, the wife will pay the qadha of the fast and Kaffara, while the husband will only pay the qadha of the fast.
When is intercourse permissible in Ramadan?
During the month of Ramadan, a husband can have sexual intercourse with his wife from the time he breaks his fast at night until he fasts the next day. As the order of Allah has come in the Holy Quran:
أُحِلَّ لَكُمْ لَيْلَةَ الصِّيَامِ الرَّفَثُ إِلَى نِسَآئِكُمْ هُنَّ لِبَاسٌ لَّكُمْ وَأَنتُمْ لِبَاسٌ لَّهُنَّ عَلِمَ اللّهُ أَنَّكُمْ كُنتُمْ تَخْتَانُونَ أَنفُسَكُمْ فَتَابَ عَلَيْكُمْ وَعَفَا عَنكُمْ فَالْآنَ بَاشِرُوهُنَّ وَابْتَغُواْ مَا كَتَبَ اللّهُ لَكُمْ
البقرة، 2 : 187
From this verse of Surah Baqarah, it is known that during the month of Ramadan, a husband can have sexual intercourse with his wife only during the night.
If intercourse is done during the day in Ramadan, then the punishment of qadha and expiation will be given.
Fasting Qadha and method of paying Kaffara
The way to make up for fasting is that after Ramadan, one fast will be observed in the whole year before the next Ramadan.
The way to Kaffara for fasting is to do one of the following three things:
- A slave should be freed
- 60 consecutive days of fasting should be observed
- 60 Poor people should be fed
Slavery is not practiced today, so the first condition is not possible. You can do either of the other two.