We are describing the original Arabic text of Quran chapter 9 verse 29. For the convenience of those who do not understand Arabic, English translation will also be done. And a complete explanation of this text will be given.
Quran Chapter 9 Verse 29
Quran 9 29 explanation: In the previous verses, Allah Almighty had stated the rules of the polytheists that after nine AH they will not be allowed to come to the Sacred Mosque for Hajj and Umrah, nor is it permissible for the polytheists to build mosques, and that the polytheists where If found, it is obligatory to kill them.
Now, Quran chapter 9 verse 29 in this verse, Allah is stating the command of the People ,fight them until they pay the Jizyah with humiliation.
Literal &Terminological Meaning of Jizyah
- Allama Abu Ubaid Al-Qasim bin Salam Harvi has written that the literal meaning of Jizya(Jizya Quran) is contentment.
- Allama Ragheb Isfahani has written that Jizya is the money that is taken from those responsible and that money is enough to protect their lives.
- Imam Razi has narrated from Wahid that Jizyah means to pay an obligation. And in the literal sense, Jizya is the amount that the dhimmi pays for his protection.
- Allama Aladdin Muhammad ibn Ali al-Haskafi al-Hanafi writes: The literal meaning of Jizya is al-jaza ‘, meaning revenge and it is a substitute for killing because when a dhimmi pays Jizya, it abrogates killing. The amount of Jizyah is a punishment for the disbelief of the dhimmi.(Quran Jizya)
The Jizyah will be Collected From
- Jizyah will be taken only from the People of the Book, whether they are Arabic or non-Arabic and according to Sunnah. Will be taken.
- Imam Malik’s religion is that Jizyah will be taken from every disbeliever and polytheist except the apostate, even if his disbelief and polytheism is of any kind.
- Allama Aladdin Muhammad ibn Ali al-Haskafi al-Hanafi writes: The Jizyah will be imposed on the People of the Book, including the Jews of Samaria because they follow the law of Prophet Moses (PBUH), and the Christians will be appointed among them. Afrangi and Rumi are also included and as for Saiba, according to Imam Abu Hanifa, Jizyah will also be imposed on them because they are Jews or Christians, so they are included in the People of the Book.
- According to Imam Abu Yusuf and Imam Muhammad, they are astrologers. And they are not included in the People of the Book, so no Jizyah will be imposed on them and Jizyah will be imposed on the Magians even if they are Arabic because the Prophet (peace be upon him) had set Jizyah on the Magians of Hijr.
- Hazrat Amr ibn Aws narrates that Hazrat Umar (RA) did not accept Jizyah from Magus until Hazrat Abdul Rahman bin Awf (RA) gave this testimony. Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) had received Jizyah from the Magus of Hajar.
The Amount of Jizya
- The jurists differ on the amount of Jizyah. Imam Shafi’i religion is that one dinar will be fixed every year for the free and the adult, whether he is rich or poor. Their argument is that when Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) sent Mu’aadh to Yamen, he ordered him to receive one dinar or the equivalent of cloth from each adult.
- Imam Malik’s religion is that those who have gold will be charged four dinars per year, and those who have silver will be charged forty dirham’s every year, there will be no excess or reduction. It is narrated in the same way from Hazrat Umar (RA).
- Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal’s religion is that forty-eight dirhams will be taken annually from a rich man, twenty-four dirham’s from an average and twelve dirham’s from a poor man.
- Allama Aladdin Muhammad ibn Ali ibn al-Haskafi writes: Twelve dirham’s per year will be taken from the poor, twenty-four dirham’s per year from the average and forty-eight dirham’s per year from the rich, and whoever owns ten thousand dirham’s or more is rich. And he who owns two hundred dirham’s or more is an average, and he who owns less than two hundred dirhams or does not own anything is poor.