“How to pray witr” Witr means odd. In the light of the hadiths of the Prophet, the Muslim Ummah agrees that we should observe special observance of Witr prayers. because Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) used to arrange the 3 rakat witr namaz, and Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) emphasized the importance of performing the Witr prayers.
He even said that if a person could not recite the Witr on time, he should make it up later. Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) has repeatedly ordered the Muslim Ummah to pay the Witr.
Witr Salah Importance
- Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) said:” Witr prayer is the truth, so he who does not recite Witr is not one of us. Witr prayer is the truth, so he who does not recite Witr is not one of us. Witr prayer is the truth, so he who does not recite Witr is not one of us”
- Hazrat Abu Saeed Al-Khudri said: Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) said: “Perform Witr prayers before dawn”
- Hazrat Ali (AS) says that the Prophet (SAW) said: “O Muslims! Read Witr Because Allah Almighty is also Witr and loves Witr”
- Hazrat Kharaja bin Hudhafa said: Once the Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) came to us and said: “Allah has given you a prayer which is better for you than the red camel, and that is the Witr prayer”
- Allah has ordained this prayer for you from Isha prayer till dawn. Muhaddithin have written that being better than red camels means: Because the red camel was the most valuable thing in those days.
Witr prayer time
The time for Witr prayer lasts from Isha prayers till dawn. According to the majority of scholars, Witr prayers should not be performed after dawn Rather, the witr prayer should be performed qazaa after sunrise
The Best Time for witr Prayer
It is better to perform Tahajjud prayers in the last part of the night and perform witr salah. This was the constant practice of Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) . However, those who cannot perform Tahajjud and Witr prayers in the last part of the night should perform Witr prayers before going to bed.
Hazrat Jabir narrated that Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) said: Whoever is afraid how to pray 3 witr that He can’t wake up and pray on the last night, then he should perform witr in the early part of the night. However, whoever wants to perform the Witr prayers in the last part of the night, he should do so. Because the angels are present during the prayers performed in the last part of the night and this is the best.
How to pray witr
How to offer witr, after performing the obligatory, Sunnah and nawafil of Isha prayers; perform the obligatory three rak’ahs of witr namaz. The intention of Witr prayers is the same as ordinary prayers. The method of reciting Witr (how to read 3 witr), with a slight difference, is the same as that of Maghrib prayers.
That is, sit for two rak’ahs for tashahhud, then stand for the third rak’ah, and recite Surah Al-Fatihah in it. And after mixing the sura, say “Allahu Akbar”, raise both hands up to the earlobe and then tie them.
And the woman should raise her hands up to her shoulders and place them on her chest, then recite witr namaz surah Dua Qunoot which consists of these words:
The Virtue of Worshiping at Night
- Hazrat Jabir narrates that I heard the Holy Prophet saying: There comes a time in the night when a Muslims demand something from Allah. and Allah gives him the same. And this hour comes every night. Hazrat Muhammad(PBUH) said: “Make it mandatory to stay up at night, for it is the way of the righteous before you, and the cause of nearness to God for you. Eraser of evils and preventer of sins.
- Hazrat Muhammad(PBUH) said: “On the Day of Qayamat, people will be gathered in a field and a preacher will announce: Where are the people whose crotches (in remembrance of their Lord) did not rest on their beds? Let them stand! Their number will be very small and they will enter Paradise without reckoning, then the reckoning of the people will be decreed.
- Hazrat Abu Sulaiman said: “People who are awake at night get more pleasure in night worship than people who are engaged in sports. And if they are given the reward of their deeds only the pleasure of waking up at night, then this is also a greater reward than the deeds. He added that if it were not for the night, I would not like to be in the world.
- Hazrat Fadhil bin Ayyaz says: “When the sun sets, I am happy to be in the dark, to be alone with my Lord, and when the dawn comes, I am sorry that people will come.
- Once people asked Hazrat Bishar Hafi why don’t you rest even for an hour at night? He said: Hazrat Muhammad(PBUH) used to stay up at night so much that his blessed feet became swollen, although Allaah blessed him with the next and the last life of Hazrat Muhammad(PBUH). Had been acquitted of sins, While Allah has saved me from Hell or not.
- Hazrat Abo Horaira narrated that a man came to the service of the Hazrat Muhammad(PBUH) and said: “(O Messenger of Allah!) Such and such a person prays at night and steals when it is morning.” it is said by Hazrat Muhammad peace be upon him :Soon this (prayer) will stop him from (stealing) what you are saying.